What is a Snapchat Channel?
If you don’t already know, I’m on Snapchat. I started using this platform some time ago in an effort to understand what the fuss was about.
I’ve been using it to share and show my work (and snippets of my knitting and the things that I enjoy) however, in the last couple of weeks have decided to change tack. It’s now going to be a channel where I educate and inform others on different ways to activate the way they learn in their workplace. A Snapchat channel if you will. So think of a television channel with all its daily programmed events – but in Snapchat.
Why is this important?
As you know, our work and workplaces are undergoing rapid change. What you knew yesterday may not serve or help you tomorrow. Many times our customers and market are well ahead of people and processes inside business and one way to ensure that you stay one step ahead is to be open to new ideas, share your knowledge, collaborate across teams (and silos) and be willing to experiment, risk and try new things out.
However I know that many people my age or in my field, industry or profession in their 40-60s are not on Snapchat and that’s okay. I’m using this platform in two ways:
- Educating myself to show and share my work in a creative manner with my own unique quirky style (and inviting anyone my age to come along for the journey)
- Reaching a whole new audience of a younger generation who now make up (or nearly make up) the majority of employees in organisations and consumer markets in a way and manner that they can relate to and understand.
As a result, my Snapchat channel will be a weekly program of various things that you can tune into.
- Monday Meanderings – on Mondays I share all sorts of information such as upcoming events & happenings in the world, new ideas and things that I have been doing that may inspire something for you.
- Tuesday Book Club – On Tuesdays I will share a book about business that will help support your own professional development, personal or business goals.
- WhatchaWorkingOnWednesday – is a Work Out Loud Day, watch me work through on a particular project I’m working on. I could be writing blog posts, creating a social media post, doing a course, video editing or covering a story for LearningNow TV where I will show you the thinking and progress through my work.
- Thursday Training (or Learning) Tip – here I share a tip with you that will activate or boost your learning process.
- Follow Friday and FrozenSnapFriday – on Fridays I will share one or two people or companies who I know on Snapchat who are using Snapchat for promoting education, learning to others – these people are professionals, business owners in their own right – real estate agents, microbiologists, teachers, dentists, you name it – these people are using this tool in innovative ways to engage and promote their expertise (in their own unique way) through engaging directly with their viewers OR companies who use Snapchat for change management, marketing or recruiting. As it’s also a bit of fun for Friday, I’ll also include a FrozenSnap Friday.
- CD Music Saturday – watch me explore the long lost forgotten shelves and dusty boxes of abundant CDs, long lost vinyls, cassette tapes to discover music that we never knew we had. That’s my relax day.
- Anything Goes Sunday – mish-mash of anything really.
How Do you Get On Snapchat?
Download the app onto your phone and then just follow the steps outlined in this great post How to Make a Snapchat Account – or ask your nearest teenager.
The snaps are over the last 24 hours, anything over 24 hours disappears so you can be sure that you’re getting information that is current. For some snaps I will save them and then upload them to my YouTube Channel should you want to check them out in your own time.
If you want to follow me, download the app onto your phone, open the app up, then put the phone up to the image below (it’s a QR code so you can use it to scan QR codes as well – no need for separate QR reader apps on your phone!), it will scan – and then click ‘Follow’ . Then just watch.
See you in the Snappasphere!